Updated: April 8, 2019
This website, and any services and tools the website offers, including but not limited to the Sailing Plan Mobile Application and the Sailing Plan Dashboard (including upgrades, modifications or additions thereto) (collectively, the “Application”) are owned and operated by Limnology Research Corporation (“LRC”, “we”, “our” and “us”), including where applicable, any affiliates of LRC.
Our use of the personal information we collect from our customers and users is subject to the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act (“PIPA”) and/or the federal Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”). PIPA and PIPEDA (as applicable) set out the ground rules for how British Columbia businesses may collect, use and disclose personal information.
In accordance with PIPA and PIPEDA (as applicable), we will inform our customers and users of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
Information Collection and Use
Unless the purposes for collecting Personal Information are obvious and the customer or user voluntarily provides his or her Personal Information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which Personal Information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect Personal Information of customers and users that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify identity;
- To verify that the customer or user meets our minimum age requirements;
- To identify customer and user preferences;
- To understand the needs of our customers and users with respect to our products and services and enhance their experience while using the Application;
- To open and manage an Account and/or personal profile (where applicable);
- To deliver requested products and services;
- To deliver notices, updates, alerts and other information concerning the Application that may be of interest to our customers and users;
- To ensure a high standard of service to our customers and users;
- To collect and process payments; and
- To meet regulatory requirements;
We will obtain the consent of our customers and users to collect, use or disclose Personal Information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
Consent may also be implied where a customer or user is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of his or her Personal Information being used for direct marketing of the Application and the customer or user does not opt-out.
Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the Personal Information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), customers and users can withhold or withdraw their consent for LRC to use their Personal Information in certain ways. A customer’s or user’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of Personal Information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product for the Application. If so, we will explain the situation to assist the customer or user in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose Personal Information without the customer’s or user’s knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
- When the Personal Information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- For the purposes of collecting a debt;
- To protect ourselves from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law; or
- For other purposes authorized under PIPA or PIPEDA (as applicable).
Third Party Services
The Application does use third party services that may collect information used to identify you.
We want to inform you that whenever you use the Application, in a case of an error in the Application we collect data and information (through third party products) on your phone or other electronic device called Log Data. This Log Data may include information such as your device Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, device name, operating system version, the configuration of the Application when utilizing the Application, the time and date of your use of the Application, and other statistics.
Cookies are files with a small amount of data that are commonly used as anonymous unique identifiers. These are sent to your browser from the websites that you visit and are stored on your device’s internal memory.
The Application does not use these “cookies” explicitly. However, the Application may use third party code and libraries that use “cookies” to collect information and improve their services. You have the option to either accept or refuse these cookies and know when a cookie is being sent to your device. If you choose to refuse our cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of the Application.
We may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate the Application;
- To provide the Application on our behalf;
- To perform Application-related services; or
- To assist us in analyzing how the Application is used.
We want to inform users of the Application that these third parties have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obligated not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
We value your trust in providing us your personal information, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. But remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Links to Other Sites
The Application does not address anyone under the age of 19. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 19. In the case we discover that a child under 19 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete this from our servers. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us so that we will be able to do necessary actions.